Tuesday 19 August 2008

Words For A Clear Conscience

"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. (Isaiah 1:18)

Sure no one’s perfect and we all make mistakes, but what do we do with them? Sometimes we’re guilt-ridden and cover it with self-righteousness or denial. Release can be found on responding to this invitation and embrace the words that can wash and cleaning the conscience and set the spirit free.

I also checked out the image on this site out and when you see the poem alongside it as well it gets to some of the heart of what inspired today’s daily thought.

There is an old hymn ‘
Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet’ that highlights what exactly God has on offer for us. Sometimes in coming to Christ I get the impression that people have something bargain with God, when this verse points out clearly that we have nothing with which to bargain. Look at us? Full of sin, full of the guilt of the consequence of sin, full of rebellion to a holy, loving God – and we have that to bargain with?

Also in the light of God’s extended offer of grace and mercy it is not unreasonable to expect us to submit and surrender to the terms of the offer. If I’m caught bang to rights for a horrendous crime and the prosecutor arranges for a rehabilitation process that sees me come out of it better than I’d ever be, why on earth am I going to bargain with that and try to shape it around my wants and felt desires. Yet when I consider flavours of Christianity today it’s almost as though I’m doing God a favour getting saved and He owes a life of blessed quietness with all the pleasures at His right hand as the money comes to me now.

May God help us to always respond to His amazing love and graciousness with humble gratitude having a willing heart to work towards His purposes and designs for life.

For His Name’s Sake
Shalom
da man cd

No comments: